Open floor plans are a great way to create a free-flowing space and utilizing wall mounted wood floating shelves can enhance this aspect even more.
There’s lots of ways to create in-cabinet organizing solutions for upper wall cabinetry, but what about open shelving ideas?
We suspect you’re on the search for that very thing, if so, you’ve come to the right place.
We’ve compiled some affordable options that can be used in the kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, home office or even in areas like hallways.
Many of these are a simple DIY project easily handled over a weekend.
To get right to it…here’s my top three…
- Best Choice – Bleecker Station Wood Floating Shelves
- Best High-End – Del Hutson Wood Floating Shelves
- Best Value – Soduku Wood Floating Shelves
How to Choose Floating Wood Shelves
There’s lots of nuances when it comes to wood floating shelves. It comes down to working with your space efficiently and selecting the best options for your particular needs.
Floating Shelf Length
- There’s various lengths to choose from. From small 9 inch lengths all the way up to 36 inch lengths. Measure your wall space and select the best option for your room. *Often times open shelves can end up looking smaller in a room after you get them installed.
- Do you know what you are going to store on your floating wood shelves? Measure those items and make sure you are getting the proper length and depth of shelves. Whether it’s books, DVDs, plants or dishes, knowing what you are going to use it for can help in the end.
Floating Shelf Weight Capacity
- Heavier items are going to require a solid wood shelf structure. Not only is the actual shelf important, but how you secure it to the wall is also crucial.
- Select a floating shelf made of real wood.
- Make sure your floating shelf has hardware to anchor it to wall studs.
- Most are rated for 10-50 pounds per individual shelf.
Best Wood for Floating Shelves
- The best wood is any hardwood like solid walnut, oak, pine, maple or mahogany to name a few.
- Rough cut wood is more raw and will show some impurities.
- Finished or unfinished? some floating shelves will come finished with a stain or clear coat and some will come unfinished and paintable.
1. Bleecker Station - Shelves with Industrial Pipe Brackets
These are pretty much what we think of when looking for open shelving. The Bleecker Station product is made from solid wood and each shelf is 24” long x 7.5” deep (8 ¾” with pipe) x 1.5” thick.
The pipes are spaced 16” apart in order to fit most wall studs. Affixing to wall studs is recommended, especially if you are going to put some weight on the shelves.
2. Del Hutson Designs - Floating Shelves
Del Hutson’s shelves are made in the USA and due to the variations in wood used, each one of their shelves are one-of-a-kind.
These cool shelves measures 3.5″ high and 6.5″ deep. The lengths range from 20″ up to 36″.
These are just simple pieces of wood, but they’re a time saver if you aren’t up for a DIY project.
3. SODUKU - Wall Mounted Floating Storage Shelves
Ideal for more of a smaller storage solution in either a kitchen or bathroom, these shelves from Soduku come in a couple different colors and feature a metal rail to help protect items from falling.
Both shelves are 16.5″ long and almost 6″ deep.
If you are after more of a Farmhouse look, these could be perfect for you.
Product description ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Ut elit tellus, luctus nec ullamcorper mattis, pulvinar dapibus leo.
4. KANKEI - Rustic Wall Mounted Floating Shelves
These shelves from Kankei are ideal for a bathroom or office where extra storage is needed. You can customize the shelf separation, which is great.
Three shelves are included. One large 17″ length, one medium 13″ length and one small 9″ length. The depth is a little shallow and is about 4″.
It does come with drywall screws, but weight on the shelves might be limited.
5. BAYKA - Wall Mounted Shelves
The shelves from BAYKA allow you to make use of any wall space. They even have various wood finishes to suite your particular style or room.
There are multiple ways to install these shelves too. You can have the triangular shaped brackets above the shelf or below.
These shelves are a bit small, but they look so cool and are a great price. A large (16.5″), medium (14″) and small (11″) shelf are included.
You can place them side-by-side, staggered or one above the other.
6. Imperative Décor - Rustic Wood Floating Shelves
Made in the USA, these open shelves from Imperative Decor feature a longer 24″ long shelf.
They are a nice length for most bathroom, office or kitchen application. The depth is good for most small items and the shelves can hold a fair amount of weight too.
They floating shelves also come in 7 different colors including, Light Walnut, Authentic Walnut, Dark Walnut, Grey, Reclaimed, and White Wash.
Keep in mind these do have a “rustic” look.
7. Greenco - Set of 3 Floating U-Shaped Shelves
Use the Greenco U Shelves as a practical shelf or to display your collectibles, photos or decorative items.
These lightweight, easy-to-install shelves are a nice fit for smaller areas like hallways, bathrooms or galley kitchens.
The Greenco floating shelves are simple to mount and comes with all necessary installation hardware. It’ll come with a large shelf (16″ wide), a medium shelf (13″ wide) and a small shelf (9″ wide).
8. Greenco - 4 Cube Intersecting Wall Mounted Floating Shelves
Obviously this is a little bit different than our other options, but for someone who needs a wall mounted solution, this product from Greenco can be more of a decorative solution.
The squares ship un-assembled. The installer will need to connect each cube with pre-made cut-out slots.
It’d be a nice fit for an office or bedroom to display some small items or collectibles.
We noticed that many options suggest to use wall anchors. Lots of the customer reviews on the products mentioned upgrading those anchors to add more stability.
When using heavier items on the shelves this can help secure and protect the wall and the shelves from any damages.
All of these are top rated products, so we do like many features of each. However, we like the Bleecker Station Wood Shelves. They seem to be more of a permanent solution, which may be good or bad depending on your ultimate goal. Also check out the Del Hutson shelves if you are looking for a longer shelf. They have a 36″ version to consider.
Nonetheless, these seem sturdy and relatively easy to install. Check out the DIY video included to make and assemble your own floating shelves too.
7 Best Under Sink Pull Out Trash Cans
The under sink area can be a tight space. It’s also a convenient spot to install a pull out trash can. Here’s some great options to consider for your kitchen.
6 Best Spice Drawer Organizers That Make All The Difference
Create a permanent home for your go-to spices with an in-drawer spice organizer. Here’s the best DIY options for every style and budget.
The Best Pull Down Closet Rods
Tired of reaching for hangers in high closets? Get easy access with heavy duty pull down closet rods. It’s a DIY project that you’ll benefit from everyday.
6 Best Blind Corner Cabinet Organizers
Blind corners are that odd corner cabinet in the kitchen that seems to take up so much unused space. Let’s tackle this problem and look at a few pull out organizer solutions.
How Do You Measure a Pull Out Trash Can?
To get correct measurements for your cabinet, you’ll want to gather the outside dimensions of a completely assembled pull out trash can. Here’s how to get started.
5 Extremely Useful Slim Storage Cabinet Ideas
These slim storage cabinet ideas can help you find the perfect fit for your home. Whether you’re looking to use it in a bathroom, laundry room, hallway or kitchen.