The last thing we want in our kitchen or bathroom cabinets is water damage from a leak or spill. You’ll thank yourself in the future for investing a little time and forethought into adding protection with an under sink floor mat.
Whether you have existing cabinets with a bit of wear and tear or a brand new cabinet, protecting against water damage to the cabinet floor is easy and affordable.
In this post, I’ll cover how to protect your cabinets from water damage and list best products to add to your cabinets today!
Let’s get into it…
Protecting Cabinets From Water Damage
Water damage is nothing to mess around with. It can quickly ruin your cabinets, floors and walls. The hardest part…it often goes un-noticed until it’s too late.
If you don’t have a small barrier or protection in your cabinet base it can destroy laminate and finishes, cause warping and even bring about mold.
Along with under sink cabinet protector mats, there is also waterproof paint that claims to help against any moisture penetration.
One of the easier ideas to protect your cabinets from water damage is to use a sensor that sits inside the base of the cabinet. An alarm sounds off when water starts to collect and is detected by the sensor.
Do You Have A Leak?
- Check your cabinet floor for any dark spots or discoloration
- Check the smell for anything odd
- Feel around plumbing pipes and hoses for moisture
- Inspect under sink hoses and pipes for any loose connections and shoddy plumbing work
Top Reasons To Get An Under Sink Cabinet Mat
- Water filtration system is used inside the cabinet
- Pipes or a garbage disposals in the cabinet
- Constant leaking around faucets or dispensers
- A trash can is used under your sink
- Wet sponges and washcloths get stored under sink
- Recent remodels/cabinetry
- New home or vacation homes
- Owner of rental properties
- Frequently travel
How To Choose The Right Under Sink Protector Floor Mat
As I frequently discuss on this website, it’s all about the measurements and functionality.
This also applies when choosing the best floor mat to protect against water damages. Assuming water damage has not already occurred and you want to protect your cabinets from future issues, you’ll want to empty out the under sink space and follow these steps…
- Clear the cabinet space you want to put a mat into
- With a tape measure, gather the width and depth dimensions of the cabinet
- Most widths for under sink kitchen cabinets will be 30″, 32″, 34″ or a 36″
- Make sure the floor mat product will not interfere with cabinet hinges (most will not, as they sit below hinge height)
- Choose from rubber or plastic material floor mats
- Do you have any pipes coming through? You’ll need to measure and prepare to cut the floor mat to accommodate those pipes
Best Under Sink Cabinet Protector Mats
Can You Install A Slide Out Organizer On A Mat?
There’s lots of amazing and easy to install under sink pull out organizers. The question is though…can you install one on top of a cabinet floor mat? The answer is a tough one. It simply depends on the slide out and the type of floor mat.
Generally, the slide out will need room to operate and “slide” out of the cabinet. The slides and base frame of the pull out also need to be mounted to the cabinet floor through the cabinet protector mat.
If you have a thicker cabinet protector mat, it may be difficult to use a slide out organizer in your base under sink cabinet.
More Blog Posts…
Avoid plumbing and gain storage at the same time! Here’s the best solutions.
Continue the search for ultimate organization with bathroom drawer storage!
Tight spaces like under sink areas need the right trash pull out. See what we recommend.
See these awesome solutions to cookware clutter!
Trash storage is something you use everyday, why not give it a permanent home in your cabinet!