So, you’re limited on space and you need to find the best small trash can for your bathroom. Awesome, we got you covered.
There are lots of features to notice that often go overlooked and we’ll be sure to cover some of those within this article.
When we get right down to it though, we found the best choice to be the SimpleHuman Round Step Trash Can. It hit the mark on lots of characteristics, which is why we put it at the top.
You’re probably thinking, what exactly constitutes a “small” trash can? Don’t get too concerned about the gallons or liters (although we will note each in the descriptions below). Just know that these will typically be lower than knee level.
Alright, let’s get to it…
Best Small Trash Cans for Bathrooms
What Features To Look For In A Small Trash Can
It seems rather silly to examine features of a bathroom trash can, but hey, that’s what we’re here for. With that said, there are a few key things you may want to notice.
If you want to take it a step further, you can use a tape measure and gather the dimensions of your area. Keep outlying factors in mind like the height of a lid being opened or any protruding plumbing or mounted toilet paper dispensers.
Here are a few features to notice:
- Overall shape
- Lid style and opening heights
- Foot pedals
- Size of bins
- Inner removable buckets
Small Trash Can Shapes
Shape plays a bigger role than you may think. Everyones scenario will be different depending on the application and where you plan to use the trash can in your bathroom.
- Rectangular trash cans are ideal for narrow spaces between your toilet and vanity cabinet. They can also squeeze in next to the shower or bathtub. Small trash cans often slide. Especially on tile or laminate flooring. A rectangular trash can tends to be more grounded when using a floor pedal or step-on trash can. Round trash cans can slide back.
- Circular trash cans are perhaps the most ideal as they can fit in numerous location next to the vanity cabinet. You can typically access them via multiple angles and don’t have to be lined up perfectly like a rectangular trash can.
Do I Need A Lid?
Small trash can lids typically serve a few important purposes. The one caveat is that you’ll be using a foot pedal or “step on” method to open the lid every time you want to toss something in.
You may or may not want a foot pedal feature. Sometimes small trash cans are placed in tight spaces like bathrooms, and thus making it a bit more difficult to get your foot near the pedal.
Here are are a few benefits of a small trash can with a lid:
- Helps conceal the garbage or trash
- Eliminate smells and odors
- Keeps pets out
- Looks cleaner (aesthetically pleasing)
Small Trash Can Sizes
Small trash cans for bathrooms, offices or other tight spaces need to accommodate various applications. Most “small” trash cans will be less than knee level height. This makes them ideal for bathrooms where not a lot of room is often the case.
- Average height of a small trash can is 12″ (304mm)
- Average width of a small trash can is 8.5″ (215mm)
- Average bin size of a small trash can is under 2 gallons (7.5 liters)
More Blog Posts…
The width plays a big role in determining which product will work. In this post we’ll see what cabinet sizes are out there.
Quick and simple ideas to finally de-clutter your bathroom drawers!
Tight spaces like under sink areas need the right trash pull out. See what we recommend.
The pull out trash storage units have two bins making it ideal for families of all sizes.
Trash storage is something you use everyday, why not give it a permanent home in your cabinet!