In this post we’ll take a look at some of the best product options for over-the-door storage solutions that help optimize your pantry space.
Squeezing every inch of storage in smaller spaces like kitchens, bathrooms or laundry rooms is a must. Lots of us have pantries with cramped spaces and sometimes we just resort to using an upper wall cabinet.
There are so many items that just don’t seem to have a home. That’s where utilizing an over-the-door organizer can really provide extra storage.
What is “over-the-door” storage? These accessories use hooks that rest on the top of the door and hang down with baskets, shelves or pockets allowing you to store items on the backside or frontside of the door.
Finding the right solution for this space is also not so easy. When using over-the-door storage your door needs to be able to close completely with the bracket hanging between the frame and to swinging door. You also need to find the right width and height that works with you door.
In a hurry, here’s some helpful tips on over-the-door storage…
1. ClosetMaid Adjustable 8-Tier Organizer (Best Wall & Door Storage)
This storage from ClosetMaid is perhaps what we think of most picturing “over-the-door” storage. These are ideal for your pantry. They make two versions in different widths. They have a 12″ wide and an 18″ wide. Each cover the entire height of the door and provide ample storage.
*Tip – Don’t want to drill to secure it to your door? Just use velcro strips to adhere it instead.
- Adjustable baskets for tall and short items
- Close wire spacing on baskets keeps items from falling
- Great for both over-the-door or wall mounting solutions
- Dimensions approximately 77″ High x 12″ Wide x 5.2″ Deep
- Hardware for wall and door mounting included
2. SimpleHouseware Clear Hanging Pantry Storage (Best Pocket Organizer)
There are many small items in our pantry that just don’t seem to have a home. That’s exactly why these pocket organizers from SimpleHouseware are so awesome.
This over-the-door storage is easily accessible and right at your fingertips. Whether it’s cold medicines, spices, teas, K-Cups or dog treats, each item can have a dedicated space.
Pocket size is 5.5″ wide and 7″ deep. When filled, the top pocket opening is about 4″.
3. Smart Design Over The Door Pantry Organizer Rack (Best Adjustable Compartments)
SmartDesign makes one of my favorite over the door organizers due to the versatility of the baskets. Smaller, lightweight items can be stored at the top while larger, heavier items are down at the bottom.
*Tip – Try using command hooks to secure it to your door even more!
- Hangs over door or can be mounted w/ hooks and screws
- 6 adjustable shelves (2 Small, 2 Medium and 2 Large)
- Rustproof coating
- Great for narrow doors
- 7″ Deep x 17″ Wide x 58.5″ High
4. Household Essentials 6-Tier Over-The-Door Organizer (Best Over The Door Baskets)
If you need a true extension of your pantry with a burst of color on your door, this over-the-door organizer from Household Essentials is perfect. It rests flush on the door no bowing or twisting.
It’s the right length too. It falls just below your door handle and makes items easy to grab.
The 19-1/4″ wide baskets are great for lots of storage space while the 6-1/4″ basket depth can hold larger items too.
- Vibrant basket colors (Green, Orange or Red)
- Easy to assemble with snap on baskets
- 6 total baskets can hold up to 66 lbs.
- Works for kitchen, closet, bathroom or bedroom doors
- 57″ High x 19.25″ Wide x 6.25″ Deep
5. Home Basics 4 Tier Over-The-Door Storage Shelf (Best Heavy Duty)
The 4 tiers of this rack from Home Basics provides plenty of storage for your pantry. This is a breeze to install as it requires no tools. It simply rests on the door with provided metal hooks.
For those of you looking for something that doesn’t take up the whole length of the door, this is the one to look at.
It’s is perfect for a quick fix and will add a storage solution for just about any item you may need to find a home for.
6. Home-Complete Over the Door Organizer-Space Saving (Best Storage Capacity)
Looking for storage that is ideal for your larger items? This over-the-door storage rack from Home Complete has you covered. It’s perfect for storing large spice bins, syrups, condiments, jars, cleaning sprays, cereal boxes and even soda bottles.
The depth of the individual baskets is about 5-1/2 inches. The overall combined height fo the two shelves is 77 inches and the width is 17.7 inches.
- Ideal for larger household items or pantry goods
- Can be used as over-the-door storage or mounted on a wall
- Option for one longe shelf or two short shelves
- Hooks provided prevent swinging or swaying
7. B.N.D. TOP Over The Door Miscellaneous Baskets (Best Fruit/Veggie Door Storage)
This is a simple way to clear up counter space, as most of us leave fruit, veggies and more out in the open or in a bowl somewhere in the kitchen. Why not move it to a beautiful basket displayed on a door.
The narrow width (12-1/4″) is great for those doors that may be a bit smaller too.
The overall dimensions of all three baskets hooked together are 32″ High x 12-1/4″ Wide x 11-3/4″ Deep.
- Assembly required, but allows you to use one, two or three baskets
- Can hold up to 50 lbs.
- Classic French farmhouse look
- Great for bathroom storage or miscellaneous pantry items
- Clears up counter space
8. DecoBros Supreme 11 Hook Rack (Best Over The Door Hook Storage)
Perfect for hanging re-usable grocery bags, dog leashes, purses or backpacks, this DecoBros over-the-door rack is a staple for many homes. It’s a quick, easy to install and affordable solution. The pantry can be a place for all things at times. This is where the extra hooks can come into play and help you get organzied again.
- Ideal for anyone who needs more hanging space
- Bracket fits doors up to 1-3/4 inch thick
- Quality chrome finish
- 11 Hooks
- Dimensions: 11-1/4″ High x 17″ Wide x 4-1/4″ Deep
9. mDesign Over The Door Hanging Storage (Best Fabric Pocket Organizer)
These may be geared towards the bedroom or bathroom door, but they can certainly be used within the kitchen pantry door too. These may be a bit more suitable for taller people, which makes it nice for keeping storage near the top of the door.
With pockets measuring 4-1/2″ deep and 13″ wide, you can get a lot in these compartments.
- Measures 4.5″ Deep x 13″ Wide x 36″ High
- Works with interior doors up to 1-3/4″ thick
- 10 color options to choose from
- Three large pockets with thick, sturdy fabric material
- Metal door hangers
What is Over-The-Door storage?
Over-the-door storage utilizes the backside (or frontside) of a door. Common places are areas where more storage is needed. Places like pantries, bedrooms, bathrooms or closets.
The storage rack will rest on the top of your door with hooks and then rest on your door providing you with access to the baskets or shelves.
How to choose an Over-The-Door storage rack
Depending on the over-the-door storage accessory, they can run the full length of your door from top to bottom or they can rest about half-way up the door for easy access.
- The main thing to note is the size of your existing door. Make sure the organizer will work with that height and width.
- Pantry doors are typically 24″ wide and 80″ high (be sure to measure yours though). You’ll want an over-the-door rack to fit inside your dimensions.
- Another area to consider is what the protruding baskets or shelves on your over-the-door rack will come into contact with when the door is completely shut.
- Will your baskets hit anything that is already inside your pantry? Lots of these over-the-door products have adjustable shelves, so it is easy to raise and lower them to avoid any issues.
- Most will work with door widths of 1-3/4″ thickness and less. (As always, be sure to note your specific door thickness versus the product specifications.)
What are the different types of Over-The-Door storage?
This is the best part about this cool product category, there are just so many options and configurations to choose from. Everything from the various sizes and configurations to the colors and basket choices.
- Wire Baskets
- Plastic Baskets
- Pocket Organizers
- Fabric Compartments
- Fruit Storage Baskets
- Storage Racks & Hooks
How to prevent over the door storage from swinging?
There’s a few clever ways to keep your over the door storage from swaying or swinging out. Try using command hooks to stick on your door and hook on your racks frame. Another option is to use small strips of velcro. One side would stick to your storage frame and the other to your door. Yet another option would be to consider using zip ties to secure any multi-basket products from moving around too much.